Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Best Way To Clean A Microwave

I can hear my mother's voice everytime I open my microwave to heat something: "put a napkin over it so it doesn't get all over the place."  Ya, ya I say...but, of course, never do.  I actually hate to put anything over food i'm warming in the microwave for many reasons.

1.  Warmed napkins give off chemicals I don't need in my food.
2.  Napkins are expensive and i'm cheap.
3.  My hubby's method is to put a plate over food, but that's just another dish to wash.
4.  I'm really lazy...that's what it really comes down to. 

So, of course after a few months of heating food my way, my microwave looked pretty bad.  It was so bad, my hubby actually pointed it out..."what is that?".  Ya...pretty bad.  I'm also lazy, did I mention that already, so it's taken me forever to clean it, but after today, I had enough.

In comes pinterest and a post I came across on how to clean your microwave quickly and easily.  Apparently this is common knowledge...but I live under a rock.  The last time I cleaned my microwave, it took me almost 20 minutes of scrubbing, so I was willing to try anything quick and easy.

Here is what I did:
1.  Add 1 cup of white vinegar to 1 cup of hot water (in a pyrex bowl/measuring cup).
2.  Place it in the microwave and heat for 10 minutes.
3.  Remove the cup mixture carefully as it is extremely HOT.
4.  Quickly wipe down the guck with a sponge or rag.  You want to work fast so that the guck doesn't dry up, but if it does, just dip your rag in the leftover solution and wipe away.

Note: the water did explode in the microwave, but most of it steamed off so there wasn't a puddle to clean up.  You can place a wooden spoon in the bowl to prevent this from happening according to the post, but I didn't really care too much...actually I kept away from the microwave just in case :D  

The cleanup was so fast, I was amazed.  It took me less than a few minutes to clean the entire microwave and inner door.
 I know mom...you're shaking your head.


 It's so beautifully clean, I could lick it!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! You actually cleaned it - I thought you'd wait till a certain party came down and stayed with you..:) But BRAVO! I love it and I'll try it too next time!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...