Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hijabi Figure Skater

When I was younger I used to figure skate.  I don't think I was ever that good, but I loved it.  I couldn't wait to get to the rink.  I would count the minutes until I could get there.  When I would open the doors, and run down the stairs, my heart would be pounding until I could see the rink and feel the cold on my face.  I would impatiently wait in line till the doors would open, counting the seconds until I could lace up my skates and fly across the ice.  My parents never had the money to really put me through lessons, so all that I learned was from my mom (she used to skate) or from watching people.  My summers consisted of living at the ice rink.  Any chance I got, I would make my mom take us (my brother always came too).  I was getting good (so I think), but all great things come to an end.  College started (and I chose an education instead...psht) and I had a bad fall on the ice and well, life goes on.  I always dreamt of some day becoming a professional figure skater.  Deep down, I still do.  

It's been such a long time since i've been on the ice.  I think it's about time I get back on :) its been years since my injury and well...I think it would do me good :) Now, where are my skates?

I came across this awesome interview of Zahra Lari, a 17 year old girl from the gulf who, wait for it...wait for it (well, you've already seen the picture)...is a hijabi figure skater.  WOAH!  When I saw her picture, I was just amazed.  Most people may not think its a big deal, but when you dream of doing what she's doing and then you see her compete in hijab...well its amazing.  She competed in the European Cup and finished in the top 15 (if you ask me, that's awesome).  She hopes to some day compete in the 2014 winter Olympics.  I am so in awe of her.  I wish I could have had the opportunity to do something like this.  I'm rooting for her and really hope that I get to see her at the Olympics.  You make other hijabi girls dreams come true Zahra :) Way to go!


1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...