Recipe was adapted from here.
Red Velvet Layer:
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp red food coloring
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 eggs (brought to rom temp.)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
Cream Cheese Layer:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened (I would let this stand at room temp a bit to avoid clumps)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter an 8 by 8-inch baking pan, and set aside.
- Add the melted butter to a large bowl.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and vinegar, in that order, mixing between additions.
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl and stir it into the cocoa mix.
- Fold in the flour until lightly combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, saving 1/4 cup of the batter for the top.
- Blend together the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Gently spread the cream cheese layer on top of the brownie batter in the pan.
- Add the remaining brownie batter over the cream cheese layer.
- Using the tip of a knife, drag the tip through the cream cheese mixture to create a swirl pattern.
- Bake the brownies for 30 minutes.
- Remove to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely before cutting.
Note: Swirling the mixture was a bit more complicated than I thought. When you add the 1/4 cup of remaining batter, really try to spread it around and not just clump it in the middle.
They were pretty good. I might make these again with no cream cheese though (less calories) :D but they were extremely moist and fluffy. Mmmm....