It took a few hours, but here are the steps.
1. Using a magic eraser, clean the stains around the rim of the washing machine.
2. Fill the washing machine with HOT water.
3. Add 4 cups of bleach, allow to agitate for a few minutes, then allow to sit for 1 hour.
4. Allow the machine to run through it's longest cycle.
5. Fill the machine with HOT water again immediately.
6. Add 4 cups of white vinegar and allow to agitate for a few minutes, then allow to sit for 1 hour again.
7. Run the longest wash cycle again.
8. Rinse the machine with HOT water for one 1/2 cycle to complete.
A clean and happy washing machine :o)