The recipe listed here is for a one layer cake. I wanted to make a two layer cake, so I made two separate batches of the cake, I was worried about doubling the recipe all at once (did that a few times for other cakes and it didn't turn out well). I am also currently addicted to my cream cheese frosting, so I had to make that frosting for this cake. Omg, fabulous frosting!
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg (room temperature)
1/4 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup milk
1 tbsp imitation vanilla
1/3-2/3 cup sprinkles (logged shaped, not nonpareils) - I felt 2/3 cups was too much.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Sliced strawberries (to use as filing between layers)
1/2 cup butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
1 tsp imitation vanilla
2 tsps cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Spray a 9-inch round baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl: mix together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside. Melt butter in the microwave or over the stove. Whisk in the sugars vigorously, getting out any brown sugar lumps - mixture will be gritty. Whisk in egg, yogurt, milk, and vanilla until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick.
- Slowly stir in sprinkles, but do not overmix because the sprinkles will bleed their color. Just slowly fold the batter over itself a few times.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil (loosely to avoid the top from sticking to the foil). My oven required me to bake the cake for another 40 minutes, but every oven is different) Bake for another 20-40 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Frost the cooled cake.
I wanted to make the cake look youthful and fun, so I decided to make a banner to add to the cake, rather than write on the cake. The banner got smooshed a bit during transport, but I think it turned out well. I'll post more on how I made the banner later.