Monday, April 2, 2012

Aghd (Marriage) Ceremony

The wedding spread (sofreh aghd) is another very important part of the Iranian culture, similar to the Haft-sin.  On Saturday, my brother's best friend got married, and they had a BEAUTIFUL spread.  For more information on what each item represents, here is a really great website. Please do note, that this website refers to this tradition as stemming from the Zoroastrian faith, but in reality it is much more ancient than that and a very important part of the Iranian traditions, regardless of whether you are Muslim, Christian, or Jew.

Their theme was purple and silver which of course made me love the sofreh even more (my wedding theme was also purple).  I thought this was one of the most beautiful sofrehs I had ever seen.  I'm not all for the fancy, overdone extravaganzas that so many of my friends have had, so the elegance and creativity of the sofreh really impressed me.  I wish I had had the knowledge and creativity of how to do things when I was making mine.  I had no idea what to do, how to do it, how to decorate it or where to get things.  I didn't have much help and no one really came forward to give me ideas, so I was working pretty much clueless.





 Since the wedding was on the 12th day of the Iranian New Year, there was a mini 
haft-sin on the spread as well.



Crystal rock candy

 Walnuts


 Party Favors

The Kaleh Ghand



Roses made of bread and radishes



Flashback to 4 years ago:
My simple sofreh

   








I do have to say though, I still love mine! 

1 comment:

  1. I love your sofreh - it was so beautiful - lovely and elegant!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...